Hardwood floors are beautiful, timeless, and expensive. Whether they are original hardwood floors in an old house or new floors that you installed, you will want to protect them and keep them looking brand new. Here is how to do just that.
Blemishes can make a flawless hardwood floor look old and dingy. Here are some tips for removing the different types of blemishes that can mark up your floor.
- Sticky marks: If something such as a sticker lands on your hardwood floor and debris gets stuck to it, then you could have a hard time removing. Try mixing baking soda and some type of oil such as vegetable oil. Leave it on the sticky area for a bit then scrub away. If this doesn't work then you may have to sand and re-stain the area.
- Oily stains: For oily stains you will want to try dishwashing detergent, which is great on any type of grease or oil. Buff with a cloth and be sure to rinse away any residue.
- Scuff marks: This type of blemish is very annoying and there can be a lot of scuff marks depending on the type of shoes you and your family wear. There are many different methods for removing scuff marks such as rubbing away the scuff marks with fine steel wool, tennis balls, and clean erasers.
Similar to health care, prevention is key to keeping your hardwood floors in good condition. Here are some more tips for maintaining your wood floor to keep them looking brand new.
- Dust your floors: Use a dust mop sprayed lightly with some type of product that grabs dust and other debris that the vacuum might miss.
- Vacuum: This will keep your floors maintained so that you don't get a large buildup of dirt and other debris. Make sure to research your type of vacuum to make sure it doesn't scratch or damage wood floors.
- Wax your floors: Keep your floors waxed about once a year. This will help protect them against scratches while keeping them looking beautiful.
- Use caution with mopping: If you must mop, then try to only damp mop with very little moisture. Make sure that you dry the floor thoroughly after mopping.
Keeping your hardwood floors looking brand new can be easy as long as you spend a little bit of time on your floor daily. You can also keep them in tip top shape by spending a bit more time on them yearly to wax them. As long as you give your floors a little love, then they will continue to look beautiful for years to come. If you can't make these changes on your own, contact a business, such as flooring by Carastan Carpet & Flooring.Share